NOTES OF HFCYCLISTS MEETING / Welcoming the New Year / Tuesday 3 January 2006 , 7.30pm in the Info Centre
APOLOGIES: Chris Bainbridge, John Smits, Louanne Tranchell, Chris Tranchell, Paul Alexander.
PREPARING FOR AGM NEXT MONTH ON FEBRUARY 7th
John Griffiths had already approached the leader of the Council, Cllr Stephen Burke, to see if he would be prepared to come to our AGM and if he was available. We considered this a fine opportunity to extend our working relationship with the Council, and approved this. John Griffiths will send a formal invitation on behalf of the group.
On the grounds of political neutrality, it was suggested that a representative of the opposition could address a future meeting, if one was willing.
Probable agenda for the AGM:
How to get cycling on to the agenda of the various parties. The parties are probably putting their manifestos together about now. We would like them to be committed to improving cycling. [Note that the present administration is Labour, but this is one of the more marginal boroughs, and a swing as in a recent local election would bring Conservatives into power]
We discussed whether to have a hustings [ie a public meeting where representatives of each party could be interrogated], or a list of questions to be sent to each party. We decided on the latter. And probably to a representative of each party, rather than to each candidate.
How would we use the results? They could be sent to our email group, put on our website, communicated to the local press. Susie also suggested further outreach to the public. The parties themselves may well publicise the results.
There is the slight question as to what questions we would ask. YES / NO type where it would be easy to discriminate between responses? Or open ended - ie what would you do to make cycling on the roadway of Hammersmith Bridge less threatening?
To help us out the LCC [London Cycling Campaign] are running a workshop on this subject. There is probably room for a couple of people from each local borough group. The workshop date is: Tuesday 24th January 2006 - probably 6.30/ 7.00 pm at the LCC offices. [on the far side of London Bridge station]. John Griffiths and Andy expressed a desire to go. [It should be pointed out that Andy is a candidate in the forthcoming elections, and that we did not consider it inappropriate that he should go]. If anyone else is interested please contact John Griffiths.
And the actual questions to be asked?
John Gilbert thought the Pedal Power enterprise should be on the agenda as a way of getting ex-oybikes bikes that are presently stored in a basement out onto the street. John Gilbert has one and finds it useful for carrying heavy loads. John Griffiths thought this not really a high priority or a critical difference between parties. Pedal Power have had the advantages of a lot of media coverage and so far have given away about 10 bikes to schools and a few to others. The number of actual sales of bikes at about £50 each is believed to be very low.
John Gilbert, and all of us, thought that teaching maintenance and on-road cycle training for school children very important. John Gilbert will talk to Richard Evans of LBHF about School travel plans.
[Concerning adult cycle training - from the lcc-issues list recently: In the recent BSP [Borough Spending Plans] round TfL are advising local authorities to cut the free/subsidised training for adults and have cut borough budget allocation accordingly.]
John Griffiths wanted to encourage parents riding with children on child seats. Perhaps child seats could be subsidised like compost bins.
Susie Gretz worried about cars parking in the cycle lane on Ducane road. She was once told by a Council official a while ago that they do not have the manpower to deal with this. John Griffiths will tell Chris Bainbridge who might pass this on to Roger Khanna, who is believed to be looking for places to send hit squads to deal with wrongful parking in cycle lanes. Note: it normally depends on the parking regulations. But as a general principle keeping cycle lanes clear is an important issue.
Other topics for questions:
Any suggestions on how we handle this or frame questions, or if you have specific questions, please contact John Griffiths or send to group.
SHEPHERDS BUSH GREEN
Updates on SBG and other projects. Colin Glendenning of LBHF away today. Before Christmas he passed on the information that the safety audit on the LBHF proposals had supported our suggestion of going to the south of the disused toilet block rather than to the north. Also recommended on safety grounds that the refuge at the Rockley rd junction be made larger than proposed. Still outstanding on the points we raised - cycling on the pavement in front of the central line station, the two way cycle lane in the roadway near the W12 centre.
At the Fulham Palace Allotments: Alex Forest pursuing, but needs permission from a higher authority as the Fulham Palace Allotments on loan from the church.
At Adult Education sites, TfL money normally for highways placement of parking, but as there is fairly open access to the racks it may be possible, or Education Dept may be able to fund.
We have rides on 19th March, 2nd and 9th April for the Hammersmith and Fulham Festival. See http://www.hfcyclists.org.uk/rides.htm
John Griffiths is a little worried that he has not heard from Sholeh recently, who is down for leading the 2nd April ride. If he does not hear from her in the next few days he will substitute his name for hers in the program.
Alan thought we should promote the Critical Mass rides on the last Friday of each month. Riders congregate in the area in front of the National Film Theatre on the South Bank at about 6.30pm to leave sometime after that.
John Griffiths had expenses of £11.47 for tonight's refreshments.
DATE FOR NEXT MEETING / AGM FEBRUARY 7th
John Griffiths [chair / co-ordinator]